If you walk out into your garage and attempt to open the door, but receive no response from your garage door opener, there may be a problem. Most people do not think about their garage door failing or not working properly until it actually happens. If you park your car in the garage or use the garage as the main entrance to your home, you may find it difficult to get around and maneuver when the door is not working properly.
Before you attempt to fix your garage door on your own, you must first identify what the problem is. Often, garage door repairs and installation require an expert so that you do not hurt yourself.
Common Garage Door Problems
- Broken springs are a common problem and should be inspected and repaired by a professional. While you may think it is easy to pop the spring out and then replace it, there is more to the process than just that.
- The springs in your garage door are under pressure, and if they release incorrectly, they can release with too much force and injure you or someone else.
- If your track is misaligned, you will find that the garage door does not open and close correctly. The tracks must be in the correct position and aligned correctly. If the door is not sliding on the track properly, the door may fall off and come crashing to the ground, posing a risk for you and your family.
- If your garage door opener is not functioning, but you looked over the garage door and do not see any visible flaws, the opener itself may need to be reset or repaired. When you do take a look at the door opener, make sure that you disconnect it and detach the garage door from it. Failure to do so could result in injury to your hands or fingers, or even electrocution.
- Lastly, if the photo eyes are not working properly, your garage door may fail to open and close properly. The photo eyes are the sensors that sit near the floor on both sides of the garage door. Sometimes, the eyes are not focused or something is blocking them. You should move any debris or objects away from the eyes and attempt to use the garage door again.
Call a Professional Technician
If you are experiencing trouble with your garage door or garage door opener, you should call a professional like Quality Doors to come take a look. Once the garage door is working again, you will be able to get back to living your life and coming and going from your garage as you please.